Wow I haven't written for so long, sorry about that, but for a while everything was looking so good for Bri especially with her Uveitis. She was on her Prednisolone eye drops only twice a day, so it was great! Bri was really giving me a hard time about even giving her one drop in one eye! I think she has just had it with eye drops, medicine, shots! So I completely understood! At the beginning of April we had an eye Dr appointment and daddy came with us because at our last appointment Bri didn't want to even sit and get her eyes examined, so this time...Daddy to the rescue haha. It was a great visit, Bri sat on Erics lap and the eye Dr was able to get a good look at both eyes. And of course after the exam he said "let me write my notes in her file, then I will talk to you". Well, this is exactly what we were told by all her docs when they told us she had JRA so we just looked at each other and knew it wasn't good...and there was alot of typing going on. Both of her eyes are seriously inflamed, about a 2 on a scale of 1-4 with 4 being severe! So back to eye drops every hour again we go! We will see how she does for the next 2 weeks and go back again. Now on her April 22nd appointment, her eyes look a little better, not as inflamed, but still not good. Again, she is about a 1 1/2 on the scale of severity. Now we have to talk to her rheum and see what meds he would suggest along with her methotrexate. The choices are Remicade or Humira! Totally not happy with either! The Remicade would be an infusion just like chemo done in the Doctors office which takes a few hours and the Humira is a painful shot! Plus it would weaken her immune system more, and she would have higher risks obviously for cancer and the list of side effects goes on and on! Like those commercials I make fun of on TV all the time for medications! "Side effects are nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, death, headaches, liver damage blah blah blah blah blah". Sorry but commercials for meds are ridiculous!
I am just praying that in 4 weeks at Bri's next appointment her eyes will be better and we will not have to decide what to do next. I have learned that sometimes things are out of our control and we just have to trust in God! I don't think I've become stronger yet with Bri's JIA and Uveitis, but I'm trying and I'm trying not to worry, and give that to God! It's a huge help to read other blog's of families who have kids that are going through the same thing! It's hard because Bri looks great! She runs, plays, dances, sings, cheers, wrestles with her siblings, has more energy then ever so you would never know what is going on inside her body! I am sooo thankful that her joints have had no swelling and she can at least run and play now:). YAYYY so thankful for those steroid shots in the knees she received! That was amazing!!!
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


i am sorry to hear about the flair. Charlotte has been on methotrexate & remicade for 2 years now & hasnt had a flair since being on them. We are starting our weaning process and that will be another two years but Charlotte was a 3+ when her eyes were at her worst. we tried a steroid pulse (3 days of steroid IV) but even that didnt stop the uveitis.
ReplyDeleteI dont worry about the remicade anymore. Its done its job & we are thankful that charlotte has ZERO damage to the eyes. We have seen other families waver & not get agressive and they are having glaucoma surgery at age 6. So....
Pull on your strength. Be the noisy wheel that gets the grease. Think about sending an email to Dr. Foster in Cambridge & asking him his opinion (he's the best!) & dont hesitate or think too much. We will always cross those bridges if & when we have to.
Take care!!